Peter J. Mazzaglia, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Accepting New Patients
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Internal Medicine
Medical School: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
Internal Medicine - Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
General Surgery - Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
Fellowship: Endocrine Surgery - Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland OH
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
New England Surgical Society
The Miriam Hospital
Rhode Island Hospital
- Radionuclide Imaging for Hyperparathyroidism: Which is the Best Technetium-99m Sestamibi Modality? Sharma J, Mazzaglia PJ, Milas KM, Berber E, Schuster D, Halkar R, Siperstein A E, Weber C. Surgery. 2006 Dec;140(6):856-63.
- The utility of peripheral thyrotropin mRNA in the diagnosis of follicular neoplasms and surveillance of thyroid cancers. Milas KM, Mazzaglia P J, Chia S Y, Gupta M, Siperstein A E. Surgery. 2007 Feb;141(2):137- 46.
- Laparoscopic Radiofrequency Ablation of Neuroendocrine Liver Metastases, a Ten Year Experience Evaluation Predictors of Survival. Mazzaglia P J, Berber E, Milas KM, Siperstein AE. Surgery. 2007 Jul;142(1):10-9
- Radiofrequency thermal ablation of metastatic neuroendocrine tumors in the liver. Mazzaglia PJ, Berber E, Siperstein AE. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2007 Aug;8(4):322-30
- The Changing Presentation of Hyperparathyroidism Over Three Decades. Mazzaglia P J, Berber E, Siperstein A E, Milas K M. Archives of Surgery. 2008 Mar;143(3):260-6.
- Value of intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring. Sharma J, Milas KM, Berber E, Mazzaglia P J, Siperstein A E, Weber C. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Feb;15(2):493-8.
- Limited Value of adrenal biopsy in the evaluation of adrenal incidentaloma: A Decade of Experience. Mazzaglia PJ, Monchik JM. Archives of Surgery. 2009 May;144(5):465-70.
- Successful palliation of poorly differentiated thyroid carcinoma with direct invasion into the sternum. Tan TW, Mazzaglia PJ, Ng T, Monchik JM. Thyroid. 2009 Jun;19(6):663-4
- Does failure to perform prophylactic level VI node dissection leave persistent disease detectable by ultrasonography in patients with low-risk papillary carcinoma of the thyroid? Monchik JM, Caragacianu D, Thomay A, Tsai V, Cohen J, Mazzaglia P. Surgery. 2009 Dec;146(6):1182-7.
- Surgeon-performed ultrasound in patients referred for thyroid disease improves patient care by minimizing performance of unnecessary procedures, and optimizing surgical treatment. Mazzaglia PJ. World Journal of Surgery 2010 Jun;34(6):1164-70.
- Normalization of two-week post-operative parathyroid hormone values in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism: four-gland exploration compared to focused-approach surgery. Mazzaglia PJ, Berber E, Siperstein A, Milas M, Monchik JM. World Journal of Surgery. 2010 Jun;34(6):1318-24
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: balancing the operative indications with the technical advances. Mazzaglia PJ, Vezeridis MP. J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jun 15;101(8):739-44.
- Extramedullary relapse of acute myeloid leukemia in a surgical wound. Mazzaglia PJ, Strenger R, Castillo JJ. Leuk Lymphoma. 2011 Mar;52(3):541-3.
- Computed tomographic diagnosis of pneumatosis intestinalis: clinical measures predictive of the need for surgical intervention. Duron VP, Rutigliano S, Machan JT, Dupuy DE, Mazzaglia PJ. Arch Surg. 2011 May;146(5):506-10.
- The phenotype of primary hyperparathyroidism with normal parathyroid hormone levels: how low can parathyroid hormone go? Wallace LB, Parikh RT, Ross LV, Mazzaglia PJ, Foley C, Shin JJ, Mitchell JC, Berber E, Siperstein AE, Milas M. Surgery. 2011 Dec;150(6):1102-12.
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for pheochromocytoma in a twin gestation. Miller M, Mazzaglia P, Larson, L, Ankner G, Bourjeily G, Curran P. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012 Feb;32(2):186-7
- Level VI lymph node dissection does not decrease radioiodine uptake in patients undergoing radioiodine ablation for differentiated thyroid cancer. Yoo D, Ajmal S, Gowda S, Machan J, Monchik M, Mazzaglia PJ. World J Surg. 2012 Jun;36(6):1255-61
- Severe Group A Streptococcus Surgical Site Infection (SSI) After Thyroid Lobectomy. Karlik J, Duron V, Mermel L, Mazzaglia PJ. Surgical Infection 2012 May 21
- Hereditary Pheochromocytoma and Paraganglioma. Mazzaglia PJ. J Surg Oncol. 2012 Oct 1;106(5):580-5
- Radiographic Evaluation of Nonfunctioning Adrenal Neoplasms. Mazzaglia PJ. Surgical Clinics of North America: Endocrine Surgery. June 2014
- Controversy Over Radioiodine Ablation in Thyroid Cancer: Who Benefits? Yoo DC, Noto RB, Mazzaglia PJ. Surgical Clinics of North America: Endocrine Surgery. June 2014
- The Natural History of the Benign Thyroid Nodule: What is the appropriate follow-up strategy? Ajmal S, Rapoport S, Ramirez Batlle H, Mazzaglia PJ. J Am Coll Surg. Jun;220(6):987-92 2015
- Ultrasound training among endocrine oncology surgeons: What is Best Practice? Mazzaglia PJ, Milas M. International Journal of Endocrine Oncology, Vol. 2, #2, 111-17 2015
- Management of Incidental Adrenal Masses: A White Paper of the ACR incidental Findings Committee. Mayo-Smith W, Song J, Boland G, Francis I, Israel G, Mazzaglia P, Berland L, Pandharipande P. JACR, Volume 14, Issue 8, Pages 1038–1044 August 2017.
- Subtotal Parathyroidectomy vs Total Parathyroidectomy with Autotransplantation for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism in Dialysis Patients: Short- and Long-Term Outcomes. Zmijewski PV, Staloff JA, Wozniak MJ, Mazzaglia PJ. JACS, Feb 2019.