Thoracic Surgeons in Rhode Island
Thoracic surgeons treat diseases of the thorax – the area of the body between the neck and the abdomen. This includes diseases and disorders of the lungs, esophagus, mediastinum, chest wall, diaphragm, pleural cavity, and trachea (“windpipe”).
Treatment of Cancer Within the Thorax
The thoracic surgery team at Brown Surgical Associates specializes in the treatment of cancer within the thorax, including complex surgeries such as:
- Carinal/tracheal resections with complex airway reconstructions
- Palliative airway and esophageal procedures
- Resection of the esophagus through multiple approaches with complex gastric, colonic, or jejunal reconstruction
- Resection of superior sulcus or apical tumors of the lung
Many of these procedures can be performed using minimally invasive approaches such as video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) or laparoscopy.
Our thoracic surgeons work in conjunction with specialists in medical oncology, radiation oncology, pulmonary medicine, gastroenterology, anesthesiology, and radiology. Our patients benefit from this multidisciplinary treatment team approach and receive the most up-to-date treatments in combination with surgery.
In addition to surgery for thoracic malignancies, our thoracic surgeons also manage and perform procedures for benign thoracic disorders such as:
- Complex anti-reflux repair for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Esophageal myotomy for esophageal motility disorders of achalasia (a rare disorder that makes it difficult for the esophagus to push food and liquid into the stomach) or esophageal spasm
- Sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating of the hands)
- Thymectomy for myasthenia gravis (autoimmune disease that causes progressive muscle weakness)
To schedule an appointment with a thoracic surgeon, choose from the list below and call that doctor directly. If you have questions about our thoracic surgery services or which doctor to choose, call us at (401) 272-1800.
BSA Thoracic Surgery Specialists
Thoracic Surgery Forms
Below are thoracic surgery forms required at each new-patient visit. Please download and bring the completed forms with you to your first visit with one of Brown Surgical Associates’ thoracic surgery specialists: