Rhode Island Surgical Oncology
Surgical Care for Cancer Patients
In the Oncology Division of Brown Surgical Associates, our mission is to provide state-of-the-art surgical care, with compassion and kindness, to patients with cancer. We perform surgery to remove tumors as well as provide comprehensive disease management for cancer patients.
Our surgical oncologists specialize in breast cancer, gastric cancer, melanoma, sarcoma, pancreatic cancers, colorectal cancers, hepatobiliary cancers, and endocrine tumors. This high level of focused expertise allows for the use of specialized techniques that are appropriate for cancer patients, including:
- Advanced laparoscopic staging and biopsies
- Brachytherapy implants for focused radiation therapy treatments
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC), an increasingly popular cancer treatment in which chemo is delivered directly to cancer cells that have advanced into the abdominal peritoneal cavity (peritoneal carcinomatosis)
- Microwave ablation of tumors
- Sentinel node mapping for breast cancer and melanoma
- Tumor resections
Our surgical oncologists direct the preoperative evaluation, surgical treatment, and long-term postoperative care for our patients. BSA surgical oncologists interact on a daily basis with oncology providers of other disciplines such as medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and pathologists to discuss the most appropriate treatment for each patient, at each stage of their disease.
Our patients benefit from these multidisciplinary conferences by access to innovative treatment protocols and clinical trials. This collaborative effort provides patients with the best chance for success in their fight against cancer.
At Brown Surgical Associates, we also make a wide variety of educational and support services available for patients and their families as they journey through a cancer diagnosis, treatment, and recovery.
To schedule an appointment with one of our surgical oncologists, choose from the list below and call that doctor directly. If you have questions about our surgical oncology services or which doctor to choose, call us at (401) 272-1800.
BSA Surgical Oncology Specialists
- Elizabeth Altenhein, MD
- Subhashini Ayloo, MD, MPH, FACS
- Rachel Beard, MD
- William G. Cioffi, MD, FACS
- Travis Cotton, MD
- Theresa A. Graves, MD, FACS
- Thomas J. Miner, MD, FACS
- Adam Klipfel, MD, FACS, FASCRS
- Peter Mazzaglia, MD
- Amy Pilotte, CNP
- Leslie Roth, MD
- Beth Sawyer-Creeden, PAC
- Steven Schechter, MD
- Megan Silveira, APRN-BC
- Charu Taneja, MD
- Julia Tassinari, MD
- Michael Vezeridis, MD, FACS
- Matthew Vrees, MD
- Doreen Wiggins, MD, FACS, FACOG, MHL