Steven C. Katz, MD, FACS
Accepting New Patients
Steven C. Katz, M.D., FACS is a surgical oncologist at Brown Surgical Associates.
Dr. Katz maintains a clinical practice focused on melanoma, sarcoma, and other complex, rare soft-tissue tumors. His laboratory research endeavors focus on immunotherapy for solid tumors. He has served as the principal investigator for five solid tumor CAR-T trials, including four for liver metastases and one for peritoneal carcinomatosis. Dr. Katz has developed numerous cell therapy products and methods for solid tumor immunotherapy. He has received research grants from numerous societies, the National Institute of Health, and the Department of Defense, in addition to multiple industry partners. His overarching career goal is to develop novel immunotherapy treatments for presently incurable liver and pancreas tumors.
Dr. Katz is the Chief Medical Officer of TriSalus Life Sciences, a Rhode Island and Colorado-based biotech company focused on developing novel immunotherapy approaches for liver and pancreas tumors.
Dr. Katz attended New York University School of Medicine, receiving the Alpha Omega Alpha Award for graduating with the top academic average in his class. He then completed his general surgery residency at the New York University Medical Center. Dr. Katz went on to complete fellowships in Immunology and Surgical Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, where he served as the Chief Administrative Fellow.
American Board of Surgery
Society of Surgical Oncology
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
New York University (NYU) Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital, New York, NY
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC), New York, NY
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Society of Immunotherapy for Cancer
Society of University Surgeons
Society of Leukocyte Biology
New England Surgical Society
American Association of Immunology
American Association for Cancer Research
Society of Surgical Oncology
Rhode Island Hospital
The Miriam Hospital
Women and Infants Hospital
In the News
- Dr. Katz: Advances in Cancer Care, Immunotherapy ‘Extraordinary’ (9/27/2022)
- 5 Questions with Surgeon, Researcher Dr. Steven Katz (5/9/2022)
- Fellowship-Trained Surgeon, Innovator in Immunotherapy Research Joins Brown Surgical Associates’ Surgical Oncology Division (3/23/2022)
1. Meleveedu KS, Miskovsky J, Meharg J, Abdelrahman A, Tandon R, Moody AE, Dasilva P, Masse G, LaPorte J, Calvino AS, Allen G, El-Bizri R, Roberts T, Armenio V, Katz SC. Tocilizumab for severe COVID-19 related illness – A community academic medical center experience. Accepted to Cytokine.
2. Arepally A, Chomas J, Katz SC, Kolli P, Prince E, Liddell R. Pressure-enabled drug delivery approach in the pancreas with retrograde venous infusion of lipiodol with ex-vivo analysis, Accepted to the Journal of Vascular Interventional Radiology.
3. Katz SC, Moody AE, Guha P, Hardaway J, Prince E, LaPorte J, Stancu M, Slanksy JE, Jordan KR, Schulick RD, Knight R, Saied A, Armenio A, Junghans RP. Hepatic Immunotherapy for Metastases Phase Ib Anti-CEA CAR-T Study – A Case Report. Accepted to the Journal of Immunotherapy for Cancer.
4. Sturm E, Marasco I, Katz SC. Multidisciplinary Management of Angiosarcoma – A Review. Accepted to Journal of Surgical Research July 2020.
5. Narayanan J, Vicente DA, Ray P, Chai LF, Erdem S, Carr MJ, Capacio BA, Cox BF, Jaroch D, Katz SC, White R. Pressure enabled delivery of gemcitabine in an orthotopic pancreatic cancer mouse model. Surgery. S0039-6060(20)30273-7, June 2020.
6. Chai L, Prince E, Pillarisetty VG, Katz SC. Challenges in Assessing Solid Tumor Responses to Immunotherapy. Accepted to Cancer Gene Therapy.
7. Katz SC, Hardaway J, Prince E, Guha P, Cunetta M, Moody A, Wang L, Armenio V, Espat NJ, Junghans RP. HITM-SIR: Phase Ib trial of intra-arterial chimeric antigen receptor T cell therapy and selective internal radiation therapy for CEA+ liver metastases. Cancer Gene Therapy. 27(5):341-355. May 2020.
8. Guha P, Gardell J, Darpolor J, Cunetta M, Lima M, Miller G, Espat NJ, Junghans RJ, Katz SC. STAT3 inhibition induces Bax dependent apoptosis in liver tumor myeloid derived suppressor cells. Oncogene. 38: 533, January 2019.
9. Thadi A, Khalili M, Morano WF, Richard SD, Katz SC, Bowne WB. Early Investigations and Recent Advances in Intraperitoneal Immunotherapy for Peritoneal Metastasis. Vaccines. 10; 6(3). August 2018.
10. Sengupta S, Katz SC, Sengupta S, Sampath S. Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3 Inhibition Lowers PD-1 Expression, Promotes Long-term Survival and Memory Generation in Antigen-specific CAR-T cells. Cancer Lett. 1;433:131.October 2018.
11. Trans-Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG). Management of metastatic retroperitoneal sarcoma: a consensus approach from the Trans-Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG). Annals of Oncology. 29: 857, May 2018.
12. Hardaway JC, Prince E, Arepally A, Katz SC. Regional infusion of CAR-T cells to overcome barriers for solid tumor immunotherapy. Accepted to the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology.
13. Mukkamalla S, Katz SC, Armenio VA. Trends in incidence and factors affecting survival of cholangiocarcinoma in the United States. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 16: 370, April 2018.
14. Guha P, Cunetta M, Khare P, Thorn M, Point G, Jungans RP, Espat NJE, Katz SC. Functional deficiencies in chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-T cells from geriatric donors. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 102: 201, August 2017.
15. Kadan Y, Calvino A, Katz A, Katz S, Moore RG. Predictors for lymph nodes involvement in low risk endometrial cancer. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 37: 514, May 2017.
16. Reha J and Katz SC. Regional immunotherapy for liver and peritoneal metastases. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 116: 46, July 2017.
17. Cavnar MJ, Turcotte S, Katz SC, Kuk D, Gonen M, Allen PJ, Balachandran VP, D’Angelica MI, Kingham TP, Jarnagin WR, DeMatteo RP. Tumor-Associated Macrophage Infiltration in Colorectal Cancer Liver Metastases is Associated with Better Outcome. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 24: 1835, July 2017.
18. George DD, Armenio VA, Katz SC. Combinatorial immunotherapy for melanoma. Cancer Gene Therapy. 24: 141, March 2017.
19. Guha P, Reha J, Katz SC. Immunosuppression in liver tumors – opening the portal to effective immunotherapy. Cancer Gene Therapy. 24: 114, March 2017.
20. Ahmad A, Reha J, Saied A, Espat NJ, Somasundar P, Katz SC. Association of primary tumor lymph node ratio with burden of liver metastases and survival in stage IV colorectal cancer patients. Hepatobiliary Surgery and Nutrition. 6: 154, June 2017
21. Greco SH, Torres-Hernandez A, Kalabin A, Whiteman C, Rokosh SR, Ravirala S, Ochi A, Gutierrez J, Salyana MA, Mani VR, Nagaraj SV, Seifert L, Daley D, Hundeyin Y, Katz SC, Miller G. Mincle Signaling Promotes Con-A Hepatitis. Journal of Immunology. 197: 2816, October 2016.
22. Ahmad A, Reha J, Somasundar P, Espat NJ, Katz SC. Predictors of surgical non-referral for colorectal liver metastases. Journal of Surgical Research. 205: 198, September 2016.
23. Ahmad A, Khan H, Cholankeril G, Katz SC, Somasundar P. The impact of age on nodal metastases and survival in gastric cancer. Journal of Surgical Research. 202: 428, May 2016.
24. Thorn M, Guha P, Cunetta M, Espat NJ, Miller G, Junghans RP, Katz SC. Tumor associated GM-CSF overexpression induces immunoinhibitory molecules via STAT3 in myeloid suppressor cells infiltrating liver metastases. Cancer Gene Therapy. 20: 188, March 2016.
25. Katz SC, Point G, Cunetta M, Thorn M, Guha P, Espat NJ, Boutros C, Hanna N, Junghans RP. Regional CAR-T cell infusions for peritoneal carcinomatosis are superior to systemic delivery. Cancer Gene Therapy. 23: 142, February 2016.
26. Ahmad A, Libbey P, Somasundar P, Katz SC. Gastrointestinal stromal tumor metastatic to the epididymis. Accepted to BMJ Case Reports. September 2015.
27. Katz SC, Burga RA, McCormack E, Wang L, Mooring W, Point G, Khare PD, Thorn M, Ma Q, Stainken BF, Assanah EO, Davies R, Espat NJ, Junghans RP. Phase I Hepatic Immunotherapy for Metastases study of intra-arterial chimeric antigen receptor modified T cell therapy for CEA+ liver metastases. Clinical Cancer Research. 21: 3149, July 2015.
28. Burga RA, Thorn M, Point GR, Guha P, Nguyen C, Licata L, DeMatteo RP, Ayala A, Espat NJ, Junghans RP, Katz SC. Liver myeloid-derived suppressor cells expand in response to liver metastases in mice and inhibit the anti-tumor efficacy of anti-CEA CAR-T. Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy. 64: 817, July 2015.
29. Saied A, Prytula K, Katz SC, Somasundar P. Chemotherapy Does Not Adversely Impact Outcome Following Post-Incisional Hernia Repair with Biomaterial Mesh. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 111: 725, May 2015.
30. Saied A, Licata L, Burga RA, Thorn M, McCormack E, Stainken BF, Assanah EO, Khare PD, Davies R, Espat NJ, Junghans RP, Katz SC. Neutrophil:lymphocyte ratios and serum cytokine changes after hepatic artery chimeric antigen receptor modified T cell infusions for liver metastases. Cancer Gene Therapy. 21: 457, November 2014.
31. Thorn M, Point GR, Burga RA, Nguyen CT, Espat NJ, Katz SC. Liver metastases induce reversible hepatic B cell dysfunction mediated by Gr-1+CD11b+ myeloid cells. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 96:883, November 2014.
32. Kahn HM, Katz SC, Libbey NP, Somasundar PS. Hepatic PEComa: a potential pitfall in the evaluation of hepatic neoplasms. Accepted to BMJ Case Reports.
33. Kahn H, Pillarisetty VG, Katz SC. The Prognostic Value of Liver Tumor T Cell Infiltrates. Journal of Surgical Research. 191: 189, September 2014.
34. Turcotte S, Katz SC, Shia J, Jarnagin WR, Kingham TP, Allen P, Fong Y, D’Angelica MI, DeMatteo RP. Tumor MHC class I expression improves the prognostic value of T cell density in resected colorectal liver metastases. Cancer Immunology Research. 2: 530, June 2014.
35. Saied A, Pillarisetty VG, Katz SC. Immunotherapy for solid tumors – A review for surgeons. Journal of Surgical Research.187: 525, April 2014.
36. Saied A, Sherry SJ, Castricone DJ, Perry KM, Katz SC, & Somasundar P. Age-related trends in utilization of the internet and electronic communication devices for coordination of cancer care in elderly patients. Journal of Geriatric Oncology. 5: 185, April 2014.
37. Licata LL, Nguyen CT, Burga RA, Falanga V, Espat NJ, Ayala A, Thorn M, Junghans RP, & Katz SC. Biliary obstruction results in PD-1 dependent liver T cell dysfunction and acute inflammation mediated by Th17 cells and neutrophils. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 94:813, October 2013.
38. Katz SC, Burga RA, Naheed S, Licata LL, Thorn M, Osgood D, Nguyen CT, Espat NJ, Fletcher JA & Junghans. Anti-KIT designer T cells for the treatment of gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Journal of Translational Medicine. 11: 46, February 2013.
39. Saied A, Katz SC, & Espat NJ. Regional Hepatic Therapies: An important component of the management of colorectal cancer hepatic metastases. HepatoBiliary Surgery and Nutrition. 2: 97, April 2013.
40. Katz SC, Bamboat ZM, Maker AG, Shia J, Pillarisetty V, Yopp AC, Hedvat C, Gonen M, Jarnagin WR, Fong Y, D’Angelica M, & DeMatteo RP. Regulatory T cell infiltration predicts outcome following resection of colorectal cancer liver metastases. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 20: 946-55, March 2013.
41. Oyasiji T, Baldwin K, Katz SC, Espat NJ, Somasundar P. Feasibility of purely laparoscopic resection of locally advanced rectal cancer in obese patients. World Journal of Surgical Oncology. 10: 147, July 2012.
42. Baldwin K, Katz SC, Rubin A, Somasundar P. Bipolar Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver Tumors: Technical Experience and Interval Follow-Up in 22 Patients with 33 Ablations. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 106(7): 905-10, December 2012.
43. Munireddy S, Katz S, Somasundar P, Espat NJ. Thermal tumor ablation therapy for colorectal cancer hepatic metastasis. Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 3: 69-77, March 2011.
44. Kurniali PC, O’Gara K, Wang XF, Wang LJ, Somasundar P, Falanga V, Espat NJ, Katz SC. Effects of sorafenib on the liver regeneration in a model of partial hepatectomy. Journal of Surgical Research. 178(1):242-7, November 2012.
45. Katz SC, Ryan K, Ahmed N, Plitas G, Chaudhry UI, Kingham TP, Naheed S, Nguyen C, Somasundar P, Espat NJ, Junghans RP, DeMatteo RP. Obstructive jaundice expands intrahepatic regulatory T cells which impair liver T lymphocyte function but modulate liver cholestasis and fibrosis. The Journal of Immunology. 187 (3): 1150-6, August 2011.
46. Baldwin K, Katz SC, Espat NJ, Somasundar P. Laparoscopic Spleen-Preserving Distal
Pancreatectomy in the Elderly: Splenic Vessel Sacrifice Associated with Higher Rate of Splenic Infarction – A Word of Caution. Accepted to HPB. 13 (9): 621-5, September 2011.
47. Katz SC, Baldwin K, Karakousis G, Moraco N, Buglino A, Singer S, Brennan MF. Soft Tissue Sarcoma Diagnosed Subsequent to Lymphoma is Associated With Prior Radiotherapy and Decreased Survival. Cancer. 117 (20): 4756-64, October 2011.
48. Boutros C, Ryan K, Katz SC, Espat NJ, Somasundar P. Total Laparoscopic Distal Pancreatectomy: beyond selected patients. The American Surgeon. 77 (11): 1526-30, November 2011.
49. Katz SC, Donkor C, Glasgow K, Pillarisetty VG, Gonen M, Espat NJ, Klimstra DS, D’Angelica MI, Allen PJ, Jarnagin W, DeMatteo RP, Brennan MF, Tang L. T Cell Infiltrate and Outcome Following Resection
of Intermediate Grade Primary Neuroendocrine Tumors and Liver Metastases. HPB. 12 (10): 674-83, December 2010.
50. Cutler TS, Chaudhry UI, Shukla P, Hiotis SP, & Katz SC. Abdominal Cystic Lymphangiomatosis. The American Surgeon. 76 (12):1432-4, December 2010.
51. Katz SC, Pillarisetty V, Bamboat ZM, Shia J, Hedvat C, Gonen M, Jarnagin WR, Fong Y, Blumgart LH, D’Angelica M, & DeMatteo RP. T cell infiltrate predicts long-term survival following resection of colocrectal cancer liver metastases. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 16 (9): 2524-30, September 2009.
52. Pillarisetty VG, Katz SC, Ghossein RA, Tuttle RM, and Shaha AR. Micromedullary thyroid cancer: How micro is truly micro? Annals of Surgical Oncology. 16 (10): 2875-81, October 2009.
53. Katz SC, Shia J, Liau KH, Gonen M, Ruo L, Jarnagin WR, Fong Y, D’Angelica M, Blumgart LH, & DeMatteo RP. Operative blood loss predicts recurrence and survival following resection of hepatocellular carcinoma. Annals of Surgery. 249 (4): 617-623, April 2009.
54. Katz SC & Shaha A. PET-Associated Incidental Neoplasms (PAINs) of the Thyroid. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 207 (2): 259-264, August 2008.
55. Katz SC, Bowne WB, Wolchok JD, Busam KJ, Jaques DP, & Coit DG. Surgical Management of Melanoma of the Gallbladder – A Report of 13 Cases and Review of the Literature. American Journal of Surgery. 193 (4): 493-497, April 2007.
56. Shao B, Lu M, Katz SC, Varley AW, Hardwick J, Rogers TE, Ojogun N, Rockey D, DeMatteo RP, & Munford RS. A host lipase detoxifies bacterial lipopolysaccharides in the liver and spleen. Journal of Biologic Chemistry. 282(18):13726-35 May 2007.
57. Kingham TP, Chaudhry UI, Plitas G, Katz SC, Raab J, & DeMatteo RP. Murine Liver Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells Become Potent Immunostimulatory Cells after Flt3 Ligand Expansion. Hepatology. 45 (2): 445-454, February 2007.
58. Chaudhry UI, Kingham TP, Plitas G, Katz SC, Raab J, & DeMatteo RP. Combined Stimulation with Interleukin-18 and CpG Induces Murine Natural Killer Cells to Produce Interferon-g and Inhibit Tumor Growth. Cancer Research. 66 (21): 10497-504, November 2006.
59. Bleier JI, Katz SC, Chaudhry UI, Pillarisetty VG, Kingham TP , Shah AB, Raab J, & DeMatteo RP. Bile Duct Ligation Expands and Activates Murine Liver Dendritic Cells. The Journal of Immunology. 176, 7189-95, June 2006.
60. Chaudhry UI, Katz SC, Kingham TP, Pillarisetty VG, Raab J, Shah AB, & DeMatteo RP. In vivo overexpression of Flt3 ligand expands and activates murine spleen natural killer dendritic cells. FASEB. 20 (7), 982-4 , March 2006.
61. Katz SC, Pachter HL, Cushman JG, et al. Superficial septic thrombophlebitis – A case report. Journal of Trauma. 59, 758-760, September 2005.
62. Katz SC, Pillarisetty VG, Bleier JI, Kingham TP, Chaudhry UI, Shah AB, & DeMatteo RP. Liver T cells are functionally distinct and suppressed by environmental factors. Hepatology. 42 (2): 293-300, August 2005.
63. Pillarisetty VG, Katz SC, Bleier JI, Shah AB, & DeMatteo RP. Natural killer dendritic cells have both antigen presenting and lytic function and in response to CpG motifs produce IFN-g via autocrine IL-12.
The Journal of Immunology. 174(5): 2612-8, March 2005.
64. Katz SC, Pillarisetty VG, Bleier JI, Shah AB, & DeMatteo RP. Liver Sinusoidal Endothelial Cells are Insufficient to Activate T Cells. The Journal of Immunology. 173, 230-5, July 2004.
65. Katz SC, Wang GJ, Kramer EL, & Roses DF. Limitations of technetium 99m sestamibi scintigraphic localization for primary hyperparathyroidism associated with multiglandular disease. The American Surgeon. 69, 170-6, February 2003.
66. Katz SC, Hazen A, Colin SR, & Roses DF. Poland’s Syndrome With Ipsilateral Carcinoma of the Breast. A Case Report. The Breast Journal. 7(1), 56-59, January 2001.
67. Bowne WB, Antonescu CR, Leung DH, Katz SC, Woodruff JM, Brennan MF, Lewis JJ. Multifactorial Analysis of 162 Patients with Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP). A Clinicopathological Study. Cancer. 88(12): 2711-20, June 15, 2000.