Thomas J. Miner, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Associate Residency Program Director in Surgery
Director, Surgical Oncology
Accepting New Patients
Dr. Thomas Miner is an Associate Professor of Surgery at the Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University and the Chief of Surgical Oncology at Rhode Island Hospital. Dr. Miner also serves as an Associate Surgical Residency Program Director at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
Dr. Miner received his medical degree from Brown University and he completed his residency in general surgery at The Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He also completed a fellowship in surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Miner’s research activities include patient-centered outcomes following surgery for advanced malignancy for palliative and curative intent. Dr. Miner’s publications include many of the most widely published reports on patient outcomes following palliative surgical procedures.
Dr. Miner’s efforts in surgical oncology have been directed towards promoting surgical decision making based on patient outcome-driven data, teaching effective decision models for considering palliative procedures to medical students and staff, and placing an emphasis on symptom management and quality of life in the surgical patient with advanced cancer.
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Medical School: Brown-Dartmouth Medical School Program, Providence, RI
Residency: General Surgery - Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
Fellowship: Surgical Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Society of Clinical Oncology
Society for Surgical Oncology
Association for Academic Surgery
Association of Program Directors in Surgery
Association for Surgical Education
New England Surgical Society
Society of University Surgeons
Rhode Island Hospital
Women & Infants Hospital
- Cohen AJ, Moore P, Jones C, Miner TJ, Carter WR, Zurcher RP, Lupkas R, Edwards FD. Effect of internal mammary harvest on postoperative pain and pulmonary function. Ann Thor Surg 1993;56:1107-9.
- Tavaf-Motamen H, Miner TJ, Shea-Donohue T. Intestinal ischemia-reperfusion induced capillary leakage is mediated by systemic rather than local/regional factors. Surg Forum 1997; 48:100-103.
- Stojadinovic AD, Miner TJ, Tavaf-Motamen H, Shea-Donohue T. Mucosal healing following ischemia-reperfusion injury of the rat small intestine: role of mucus and lipid peroxidation. Surg Forum 1997;48:224-226.
- Starnes B, Tavaf-Motamen H, Miner TJ, Shea-Donohue T. Glutamine improves intestinal function but does not improve mucosal injury following ischemia-reperfusion of the rat small intestine. Surg Forum, 1997;48:22-23.
- Miner TJ, Shriver CD, Schutt DC, Jaques DP. The Department of Defense experience with perioperative testing for metastatic disease in women with breast cancer. Breast 1998;4:84-88.
- Miner TJ, Shriver CD, Jaques DP, Maniscalco-Theberge ME, Krag DN. Ultrasonographically guided injection improves localization of the sentinel lymph node in patients with breast cancer. Ann Surg Onc 1998;5:315-321.
- Tavaf-Motamen H, Miner TJ, Shea-Donohue T. Nitric oxide mediates acute lung injury by the modulation of inflammation. J Surg Res 1998;78:137-142.
- Miner TJ, Shriver CD, Flicek PR, Miner FC, Jaques DP, Maniscalco- Theberge ME, Krag DN. Guidelines for the safe use of radioactive materials during sentinel lymph node biopsy. Ann Surg Onc 1999;6:75-82.
- Miner TJ, Tavaf-Motamen H, Shea-Donohue T. Ischemia-reperfusion of the rat small intestine causes an adaptation that protects against subsequent ischemic injury. J Surg Res 1999;82:1-10
- Miner TJ, Tavaf-Motamen H, Shriver CD, Jaques DP. An evaluation of surgical palliation based on patient outcome data. Amer J Surg 1999;177:150-154.
- Conner WC, Gallagher CM, Miner TJ, Tavaf-Motamen H, Wolcott KM, Shea-Donohue T. Neutrophil priming state predicts capillary leak after gut ischemia in rats. J Surg Res 1999;84:24-30.
- Miner TJ, Shriver CD, Jaques DP, Maniscalco-Theberge ME, Krag DN. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer: patient eligibility based on type of previous biopsy. Amer Surg 1999;65:493-498.
- Miner TJ, Jaques DP, Shriver CD. A prospective analysis of patients undergoing palliative surgery for an advanced malignancy. Ann Surg Onc 2002;9:696-703.
- Miner TJ, Jaques DP, Paty P, Guillem J, Wong WD. Symptom control of locally recurrent rectal cancer. Ann Surg Onc 2003;10:72-79.
- Miner TJ, Delgado R, Busam K, Zeisler J, Alektiar K, Barakat R, Poynor E. Primary vaginal melanoma: a critical analysis of therapy. Ann Surg Onc 2004;11:34-39.
- Miner TJ, Jaques DP, Karpeh MS, Brennan MF. Defining non-curative gastric resections by palliative intent. J Amer Col Surg 2004;198:1013-21.
- Miner TJ, Brennan MF, Jaques DP. A prospective, symptom related, outcomes analysis of 1,022 palliative procedures for advanced cancer. Ann Surg 2004;240:719-727.
- Miner TJ, Karpeh MS. Gastrectomy for gastric cancer: defining critical elements of patient selection and outcome assessment. Surg Oncol Clin N Amer 2004;13:455-466.
- Miner TJ, Shia J, Jaques DP, Klimstra DS, Brennan MF, Coit DG. Long-term survival following treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: an analysis of surgical therapy. Ann Surg 2005; 241(2):300-308.
- Tsai JY, Iannitti D, Berkenbilt A, Akerman P, Nadeem A, Rathmore R, Harrington D, Roye D, Miner TJ, Barnett JM, Maia C, Stuart K, Safran H. Phase I study of docetaxel, capecitabine, and carboplatin in metastatic esophagogastric cancer. Amer J Clin Oncol 2005; 26 (4): 329-333.
- Iannitti DI, Dipetrillo T, Akerman P, Barnett JM, Maia-Acuna C, Cruff D, Miner TJ, Martel D, Cioffi W, Remis M, Kennedy T, Safran H. Erlotinib and chemoradiation followed by maintenance erlotinib for locally advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase I study. Amer J Clin Oncol 2005; 28(6):570-575.
- Sarela AI, Miner TJ, Karpeh MS, Jaques DP, Brennan MF. Clinical outcomes for patients with laparoscopic stage M1 gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 2006; 243 (2):189-198.
- Dipetrillo T, Evans D, Akerman P, Ng T, Miner TJ, Cruff D, Chauhan B, Iannitti DI, Harrington D, Safran H. Paclitaxel poliglumex (PPX-Xyotax) and concurrent radiation for esophageal and gastric cancer: a phase I study. Amer J Clin Oncol 2006; 29(4):376-379.
- Karistenfeld D, Harrington D, Miner TJ. Teaching palliative care: a core curriculum for surgical residents. Ann Surg Onc 2007; 14(6):1801-1806.
- Evans D, Miner TJ, Akerman P, Millis R, Jean M, Kennedy T, Safran H. A phase I study of docetaxel, oxaliplatin, and capecitabine in patients with metastatic gastroesophageal cancer.
Am J Clin Oncol 2007; 30(4): 346-9.
- Evans D, Miner TJ, Iannitti D, Akerman P, Cruff D, Maia-Acuna C, Harrington D, Habr F, Berkenblit A, Stuart K, Sears D, Kennedy T, Safran H. Docetaxel, capecitabine and carboplatin in metastatic esophagogastric cancer: a phase II study. Cancer Invest 2007; 25(6): 445-8.
- Evans D, Miner TJ, Akerman P, Mills R, Jean M, Kennedy T, Safran H. A Phase I Study of Docetaxel, Oxaliplatin, and Capecitabine in patients with metastatic gastroesophageal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2007 30(4):346-9.
- Harrington DT, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Miner TJ, Richardson P, Cioffi WG. A time-cost analysis of teaching a laparoscopic entero-enterostomy. J Surg Educ. 2007;64(6):342-5
- Ferrell B, Angelos P, Kolker A, Miner TJ, Waney S, Padilla G, Cassarett D. Issues of research to improve the management of malignant bowel obstruction: challenges and recommendations. J of Palliation 2007; 32(1):S20-27.
- Safran H, Miner TJ, Resnick M, Dipetrillo T, McNulty B, Evans D, Joseph P, Plette A, Millis R, Sears D, Gutman N, Kennedy T. Lapatinib/gemcitabine and hapatinib/gemcitabine/oxaliplatin: a phase I study for advanced pancreaticobiliary cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2008;31(2):140-4.
- Charpentier K, Cheah Y, Machan M, Miner TJ, Morrissey P, Monaco M. Intention to treat survival following liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma within a donor service area. HPB 2008;10(6):412-5.
- Chi DS, Phaëton R, Miner TJ, Kardos SV, Diaz JP, Leitao MM, Gardner G, Huh J, Tew WP, Konner JA, Sonoda Y, Abu-Rustum NR, Barakat RR, Jaques DP. A prospective outcomes analysis of palliative procedures performed for malignant intestinal obstruction due to recurrent ovarian cancer. Oncologist 2009; 14(8): 835-9.
- Thomay A, Jaques DP, Miner TJ. Surgical Palliation: Getting back to our roots. Surg Clin N Amer 2009;89(1):27-41.
- Morrogh M, Miner TJ, Park A, Jenckes A, Gonen M, Seidman A, Morrow M, Jaques DP, King TA. A prospective evaluation of the durability of palliative interventions for patients with metastatic breast cancer. Cancer 2010;116(14):3338-47.
- Miner TJ. Communication skills in palliative surgery: skill and effort are key. Surg Clin N Amer 2011;91(2):335-366.
- Safran H, Miner TJ, Bahary N, Whiting S, Lopez CD, Sun W, Charpentier K, Shipley J, Anderson E, McNulty B, Schumacher A, Vakharia J, Kennedy T. Lapatinib and Gemcitabine for Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 2011; 34(1):50-52.
- Miner TJ, Cohen J, Charpentier K, McPhillips J, Marvell L, Cioffi WG. The Palliative Triangle: Improved Patient Selection and Outcomes Associated with Palliative Operations. Arch Surg 2011; 146(5):517-522.
- Stuebing EA, Miner TJ. Surgical Vampires and Rising Health Care Expenditures: Reducing the Cost of Daily Phlebotomy. Arch Surg 2011; 146(5):524-527.
- Dalal KM, Gollub MJ, Miner TJ, Wong WD, Gerdes H, Schattner MA, Jaques DP, Temple LK. Management of patients with malignant bowel obstruction and stage IV colorectal cancer. J Palliat Med 2011;14(7):822-8.
- Miner T, Harrington DT. Surgical education on a fixed income. Med Health R I. 2011 Jun;94(6):155-7.
- Sangisetty SL, Miner TJ. Malignant ascites: A review of prognostic factors, pathophysiology and therapeutic measures. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Apr 27;4(4):87-95
- Monaghan SF, Blakely AM, Richardson PJ, Miner TJ, Cioffi WG, Harrington DT. The reflective statement: a new tool to assess resident learning. J Surg Res. 2012 Dec;178(2):618-22.
- Dixon M, Seevaratnam R, Wirtzfeld D, McLeod R, Helyer L, Law C, Swallow C, Paszat L, Bocicariu A, Cardoso R, Mahar A, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, Van de Velde CJ, Wong S, Coburn N. A RAND/UCLA appropriateness study of the management of familial gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 Feb;20(2):533-41
- Safran H, Charpentier KP, Kaubisch A, Mantripragada K, Dubel G, Perez K, Faricy-Anderson K, Miner T, Eng Y, Victor J, Plette A, Espat J, Bakalarski P, Wingate P, Berz D, Luppe D, Martel D, Rosati K, Aparo S. Lenalidomide for Second-line Treatment of Advanced Hepatocellular Cancer: A Brown University Oncology Group Phase II Study. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jul 15.
- Dixon M, Mahar A, Paszat L, McLeod R, Law C, Swallow C, Helyer L, Seeveratnam R, Cardoso R, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, Van de Velde CJ, Wong S, Coburn N. What provider volumes and characteristics are appropriate for gastric cancer resection? Results of an international RAND/UCLA expert panel. Surgery. 2013 Nov;154(5):1100-9.
- Brar S, Law C, McLeod R, Helyer L, Swallow C, Paszat L, Seevaratnam R, Cardoso R, Dixon M, Mahar A, Lourenco LG, Yohanathan L, Bocicariu A, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, van de Velde C, Wong S, Coburn N; International multidisciplinary expert panel. Defining surgical quality in gastric cancer: a RAND/UCLA appropriateness study. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Aug;217(2):347-57.
- Brar SS, Mahar AL, Helyer LK, Swallow C, Law C, Paszat L, Seevaratnam R, Cardoso R, McLeod R, Dixon M, Yohanathan L, Lourenco LG, Bocicariu A, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, van de Velde C, Wong S, Coburn NG. Processes of care in the multidisciplinary treatment of gastric cancer: results of a RAND/UCLA expert panel. JAMA Surg. 2014 Jan;149(1):18-25
- Badgwell BD, Aloia TA, Garrett J, Chedister G, Miner T, Krouse R Indicators of symptom improvement and survival in in-patients with advanced cancer undergoing palliative surgical consultation. J Surg Oncol. 2013 Mar;107(4):367-71
- Barsky M, Cherkassky L, Vezeridis M, Miner TJ. The role of preoperative positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) in patients with high-risk melanoma. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Jun;109(7):726-9.
- Coburn N, Seevaratnam R, Paszat L, Helyer L, Law C, Swallow C, Cardosa R, Mahar A, Lourenco LG, Dixon M, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, van de Velde C, Wong S, McLeod R. Optimal management of gastric cancer: results from an international RAND/UCLA expert panel. Ann Surg. 2014 Jan;259(1):102-8
- Blakely AM, Heffernan DS, McPhillips J, Cioffi WG, Miner TJ. Elevated C-reactive protein as a predictor of patient outcomes following palliative surgery. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Nov;110(6):651-5.
- Blakely AM, McPhillips J, Miner TJ. Surgical palliation for malignant disease requiring locoregional control. Ann Palliat Med. 2015 Apr;4(2):48-53
- Harrington DT, Miner J, NG T, Charpentier K, Richardson P, Cioffi WG. What shape is your resident in? Using a radar plot to guide a milestone clinical competency discussion. J Surg Educ. 2015 Nov-Dec;72(6):e294-8
- Chiulli LC, Stephen AH, Heffernan DS, Miner TJ. Association of Medical Comorbidities, Surgical Outcomes, and Failure to Rescue: An Analysis of the Rhode Island Hospital NSQIP Database. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Dec;221(6):1050-6
- Vidri RJ, Blakely AM, Kulkarni SS, Vaghjiani RG, Heffernan DS, Harrington DT, Cioffi WG, Miner TJ. American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program as a quality-measurement tool for advanced cancer patients. Ann Palliat Med. 2015 Oct;4(4):200-6
- Day KM, Schwartz TM, Rao V, Khokhar MT, Miner TJ, Harrington DT, Ryder BA. Medical student clerkship performance and career selection after a junior medical student surgical mentorship program. Am J Surg. 2016 Feb;211(2):431-6
- Potz BA, Miner TJ. Surgical palliation of gastric outlet obstruction in advanced malignancy. World J Gastrointest Surg 2016 August 27; 8(8): 545-555
- Blakely AM, Ajmal S, Sargent RE, Ng TT, Miner TJ. Critical analysis of feeding jejunostomy following resection of upper gastrointestinal malignancies. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Feb 27;9(2):53-60
- Blakely AM, Comissiong DS, Vezeridis MP, Miner TJ. Suboptimal Compliance with National Comprehensive Cancer Network Melanoma Guidelines: Who Is at Risk? Am J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jan 24.
- Blakely AM, Matoso A, Patil PA, Taliano R, Machan JT, Miner TJ, Lombardo KA, Resnick MB, Wang LJ. Role of immune microenvironment in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. 2018 Feb;72(3):405-413
- Patil PA, Blakely AM, Lombardo KA, Machan JT, Miner TJ, Wang LJ, Marwaha AS, Matoso A. Expression of PD-L1, indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase and the immune microenvironment in gastric adenocarcinoma. 2018 Feb 28. doi: 10.1111/his.13504
- Dressler JA, Ryder BA, Connolly M, Blais MD, Miner TJ, Harrington DT. “Tweet”-Format Writing Is an Effective Tool for Medical Student Reflection. J Surg Educ. 2018 Mar 22. 7204(17)30780-8.