Andrew H. Stephen, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Surgery and Associate Director of Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Director of Surgical ICU, Rhode Island Hospital
Accepting New Patients
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Medical School: Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Residency: General Surgery - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
Fellowship: Surgical Critical Care - Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, Providence, RI
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Surgical Infection Society
Rhode Island Committee on Trauma
World Society of the Abdominal Compartment Syndrome
Hospital Affiliations: Rhode Island Hospital
- Thakkar RK, Monaghan SF, Adams CA Jr, Stephen AH, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS. Empiric antibiotics pending bronchoalveolar lavage data in patients without pneumonia significantly alters the flora, but not the resistance profile, if a subsequent pneumonia develops. J Surg Res. 2012, Jul 26.
- Monaghan SF, Adams CA Jr, Stephen AH, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Machan JT, Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS. Infections after trauma are associated with subsequent cardiac injury. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Nov; 73(5):1079-84.
- Duron VP, Monaghan SF, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Stephen AH, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS. Undiagnosed medical comorbidities in the uninsured: a significant predictor of mortality following trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Nov;73(5), 1093-8.
- Stephen AH, Fallon EA, Kalife E, Wanebo H. Radiation-associated sarcoma after recurrent colorectal primary tumor: A complex surgical case. J Surg Oncol. 2015 Nov; 112(6):658:-61.
- Chiulli LC, Stephen AH, Heffernan DS, Miner TJ: Association of medical comorbidities, surgical outcomes, and failure to rescue: An analysis of the Rhode Island Hospital NSQIP database. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Dec; 221(6):1050-6.
- Zimmerman AM, Marwaha J, Nunez H, Harrington D, Heffernan D, Monaghan S, Adams C, Stephen A, Preoperative myocardial injury as a predictor of mortality in emergency general surgery: An analysis using the American College of Surgeons NSQIP database. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Aug: 223(2):381-6.
- Gregg SC, Heffernan DS, Connolly MD, Stephen AH, Lueckel SN, Harrington DT, Machan JT, Adams CA Jr., Cioffi WG: Teaching leadership in trauma resuscitation: Immediate feedback from a real-time, competency-based evaluation tool shows long term improvement in resident performance. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Oct; 81(4):729-34.
- Sawhney JS, Stephen AH, Nunez H. Lueckel SH, Kheirbek T, Adams CA Jr., Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS: Impact of type of health insurance on infection rates among young trauma patients. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2016 Oct; 17(5):541-6.
- Gregg SC, Heffernan DS, Connolly MD, Stephen AH, Leuckel SN, Harrington DT, Machan JT, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG. Teaching leadership in trauma resuscitation: immediate feedback from a real-time, competency-based evaluation tool shows long term improvement in resident performance. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Oct;81(4):729-34.
- Dickinson CM, Karlin DR, Nunez HR, Cao SA, Heffernan DS, Monaghan SF, Kheirbek T, Adams CA, Stephen AH. Do patients with pre-existing psychiatric illness have an increased risk of infection after injury? Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017 Jul;18(5):545-549.
- Stephen AH, Karlin DR, Luppens CL, Adams CA. Self-inflicted penetrating injury: a review. Trauma. 2017 February 20,2017.
- Ottinger ME, Monaghan SF, Gregg SC, Stephen AH, Connolly MD, Harrington DT, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS. Trauma morning report is the ideal environment to teach and evaluate resident communication and sign-outs in the 80 hour work week. Injury. 2017 May 1.
- Kao MJ, Nunez H, Stephen AH, Monaghan SF, Lueckel SN, Heffernan DJ, Adams CA, Cioffi WG: Trauma Patients Who Present in a Delayed Fashion: A unique and challenging population. J Surg Research 2017 Feb;208:204-210.
Providence - 2 Dudley Street, Suite 470