Comprehensive Hernia Center at Brown Surgical Associates
Brown Surgical Associates offers world-class hernia care. Our Comprehensive Hernia Center provides a full range of surgical treatments for every type of hernia.
To reach our compassionate team or to schedule an appointment, please call the Comprehensive Hernia Center at Brown Surgical Associates at 401-553-8330. Our fax number is 401-868-2351.
We offer convenient access to patients at our offices at 195 Collyer Street and Rhode Island Hospital Medical Office Center.
A hernia is a defect in the abdominal musculature which allows fat or abdominal contents to protrude through this abnormal opening and cause symptoms. While not all hernias cause symptoms of pain or discomfort typically strenuous activities and heavy lifting can make symptoms worse. Hernias can occur through a variety of locations and may be all different sizes. In adults, hernias do not resolve on their own and in most cases will need surgical repair.
The Brown Surgical Associates Comprehensive Hernia Center offers world-class hernia repair procedures. At Brown Surgical Associates we believe your hernia should be approached in a holistic, comprehensive, and multidisciplinary manner to lead to the best possible outcome. Using a multidisciplinary approach, the Hernia Center provides individualized care for our patients by employing a wide variety of medical therapies and surgical techniques. We combine our specialized surgical expertise with other disciplines, such as obesity medicine physicians, weight loss surgeons, dietitians, and wound care specialists, to provide safe, effective, and comprehensive care for all of our patients.
Additionally, we exist to serve as a referral center for patients whose complex abdominal wall hernias have been denied treatment elsewhere. Finally, we strive to improve the care we offer each patient by conducting regular multidisciplinary hernia conferences, remaining active in local and national hernia conferences, carefully monitoring the quality of our work and its outcomes, and ensure that we continue to be respectful and responsive to each patient’s values and needs.
Our board-certified surgeons have expertise in diagnosing and treating every type of hernia. They offer a full range of treatment options including:
- Open hernia repair
- Advanced abdominal wall reconstruction
- Minimally invasive and robotic approaches to hernia repair
- Use of synthetic and biologic mesh
- Advanced techniques to optimize defect closure
Additionally, the Comprehensive Hernia Center provides patients access to a variety of specialists to ensure their hernia is approached in a holistic and evidence-based manner. This includes access to:
- Board-certified general surgeons specializing in hernia surgery
- Board-certified general surgeons specializing in minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopic and robotic surgery)
- Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons for those patients who are not able to have direct closure or require abdominal wall reconstruction
- Wound Care Specialists for those patients with complex wounds
- Board-certified Obesity Medicine and Bariatric Surgery specialists to ensure that patients who suffer from obesity have the support they need before and after their hernia surgery
- Wound care nurses
- Social Workers
Groin Hernia – Includes inguinal and femoral hernia
- Inguinal hernia – a hernia that occurs through the inguinal canal and protrudes at the groin
- Femoral Hernia – a hernia that occurs at the groin and protrudes onto the leg
Ventral Hernia – A hernia on the front of the abdomen.
- Epigastric Hernia – a hernia above the belly button (umbilicus) which is commonly present at birth
- Incisional Hernia – a hernia that occurs at a previous incision site or an incompletely healed surgery site.
- Umbilical hernia – a hernia that occurs at the belly button (umbilicus)
- Spigelian Hernia- a hernia that occurs on the side of the abdomen
- Parastomal hernia – a hernia that occurs at the site of a prior or current ostomy.
Recurrent Hernia – A hernia that has returned after a previous repair.
Different Treatments for Different Hernias
Not all hernias are the same. That is why Brown Surgical Associates' Comprehensive Hernia Center has surgeons who specialize in all types of hernias.
Find an Expert in Hernia Surgery
Our surgeons perform high volumes of hernia repair surgeries every year, performing greater than 1000 cases annually. Additionally, all our surgeons are:
✓ Committed to delivering the highest possible level of care to all our patients in a manner that is responsive and respectful of each patient’s values and needs
✓ Actively involved in researching new ways to improve hernia surgery
✓ Committed to excellent outcomes and seeking new and innovative methods to improve the care delivered to our patients
✓ Actively involved in training the next generation of hernia surgeons by working as faculty members at Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University teaching medical students, residents and fellows
Call (401) 553-8330 To Make an Appointment Today