Charles A. Adams Jr., MD, FACS, FCCM
Associate Professor of Surgery, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Chief - Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care
Program Director - Surgical Critical Care, Rhode Island Hospital
Accepting New Patients
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery (General Surgery, Surgical Critical Care)
Medical School: University of Medicine and Dentistry, Newark, NJ
Residency: General Surgery - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark NJ
Fellowship: Trauma and Surgical Critical Care - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Association for Academic Surgery
Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Southeastern Surgical Congress
Surgical Infection Society
The Miriam Hospital
Rhode Island Hospital
Women & Infants Hospital
- Adams CA Jr., Xu DZ, Lu Q, Deitch EA: Post-shock mesenteric lymph injures endothelial cells in a complement-related, non-endotoxin immune cell-independent fashion that is maximal 1-3 hours post-shock. Surg Forum 1999, 50:242-244
- Sambol JT, Xu DZ, Adams CA, Magnotti LJ, Deitch EA: Mesenteric lymph duct ligation provides long term protection against hemorrhagic shock-induced lung injury. Shock 2000, 14:416-20
- Adams CA, Jr., Xu DZ, Lu Q, Deitch EA: Factors larger than 100 kd in post-hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph are toxic for endothelial cells. Surgery 2001, 129:351-362
- Adams CA Jr., Magnotti LJ, Xu DZ, Lu Q, Deitch EA: Acute lung injury after hemorrhagic shock is dependent on gut injury and sex. Amer Surg 2000, 66:905-913
- Fekete Z, Hauser CJ, Adams JM, Adams CA Jr., Forsythe RM, Hasko G, Xu DZ, Livingston DH, Deitch EA: Injury-enhanced calcium mobilization in circulating rat neutrophils models human PMN responses. Shock 2001, 16:15-20
- Anjaria DJ, Rameshwar P, Xu DZ, Adams CA Jr., Forsythe RM, Sambol JT, Hauser CJ, Deitch EA, Livingston DH: Bone marrow failure induced by hemorrhagic shock is partially mediated by the gut. Surg Forum 2000, 51:169-171
- Deitch EA, Adams CA, Lu Q, Xu DZ: A time course study of the protective effect of mesenteric lymph duct ligation on hemorrhagic shock-induced pulmonary injury and the toxic effects of lymph from shocked rats on endothelial cell monolayer permeability. Surgery 2001, 129:39-47
- Anjaria DJ, Rameshwar P, Deitch EA, Xu DZ, Adams CA, Forsythe RM, Sambol JT, Hauser CJ, Livingston DH: Hematopoietic failure after hemorrhagic shock is mediated partially through mesenteric lymph. Crit Care Med 2001, 28:1780-5
- Deitch EA, Adams CA, Lu Q, Xu DZ: Mesenteric lymph from rats subjected to trauma-hemorrhagic shock are injurious to rat pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells as well as human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Shock 2001, 16:290-93
- Adams CA Jr., Sambol JT, Xu DZ, Lu Q, Granger ON, Deitch EA: Hemorrhagic shock induced up-regulation of P-selectin expression is mediated by factors in mesenteric lymph and blunted by lymph duct interruption. J Trauma 2001, 51:625-32
- Adams JM, Hauser CJ, Adams CA Jr., Xu DZ, Livingston DH, Deitch EA: Entry of gut lymph into the circulation primes rat neutrophil respiratory burst in hemorrhagic shock. Crit Care Med 2001, 29:2194-8
- Adams CA Jr., Hauser CJ, Adams JM, Fekete Z, Xu DZ, Sambol JT, Deitch EA. Trauma-hemorrhage induced neutrophil priming is prevented by mesenteric lymph duct ligation. Shock 2002, 18:513-7
- Adams JM, Adams CA, Xu DZ, Fekete Z, Lu Q, Livingston DH, Deitch EA, Hauser CJ. Sexual dimorphism in the activation of neutrophils by shock mesenteric lymph. Surg Infect 2003, 4:37-44
- Xu DZ, Lu Q, Adams CA, lssekutz AC, Deitch EA. Trauma-hemorrhagic shock-induced up-regulation of endothelial cell adhesion molecules is blunted by mesenteric lymph duct ligation. Crit Care Med 2004, 32:760- 5.
- Hauser CJ, Adams CA Jr., Eachempati SR; Council of Surgical Infection Society. Prophylactic antibiotic use in open fractures: an evidence-based guideline. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2006, 7:379-405.
- Heffernan OS, Thakkar R, Monaghan S, Kozloff MS, Adams CA, Connolly M, Gregg S, Cioffi WG. Normal presenting vital signs are unreliable in geriatric blunt trauma victims. J Trauma 2010, 69:813-20.
- Howley I, Gregg SC, Heffernan OS, Adams CA. Peritoneal free air due to evacuation of pneumobilia in blunt trauma. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2010, 3(4): 412-415.
- Adams CA Jr., Sepsis Biomarkers in Poly-trauma Patients. Crit Care Clinics 2011, 27(2):345-54.
- Monaghan SF, Heffernan OS, Thakkar RK, Reinert SE, Machan JT, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Kozloff MS, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG. The development of a urinary tract infection is associated with increased mortality in trauma patients. J Trauma. 2011, 71(6):1569-74.
- Heffernan OS, Vera RM, Monaghan SF, Thakkar RK, Kozloff MS, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Machan JT, Harrington OT, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG. Impact of socioethnic factors on outcomes following traumatic brain injury. J Trauma. 2011, 70(3):527-34
- Van der Wilden GM, Velmahos GC, Emhoff T, Brancato S, Adams C, Georgakis G, Jacobs L, Gross R, Agarwal S, Burke P, Maung A, Jounson DC, Winchell R, Gates J, Cholewczynski W, Rosenblatt M, Chang Y. Successful Non-Operative Management of the Most Severe Blunt Liver injuries: A Multicenter Study of the Research Consortium of New England Centers for Trauma. Arch of Surg 2012, 147 (5):423-429
- Badger JM, Gregg SC, Adams CA Jr. Non-fatal suicide attempt by intentional stab wound: Clinical management, psychiatric assessment, and multidisciplinary considerations. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2012, 5(3):228-32
- Thakkar RK, Monaghan SF, Adams CA Jr, Stephen A, Connolly MD, Gregg S, Cioffi WG, Heffernan OS. Empiric antibiotics pending bronchoalveolar lavage data in patients without pneumonia significantly alters the flora, but not the resistance profile, if a subsequent pneumonia develops. J Surg Res. 2012 May, 181 (2): 323-8.
- Duron VP, Monaghan SF, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Stephen AH, Adams CA Jr., Cioffi WG, Heffernan OS. Undiagnosed medical comorbidities in the uninsured: A significant predictor of mortality following trauma. J of Trauma 2012 Nov; 73 (5):1093-9.
- Monaghan SF, Adams CA Jr., Stephen AH, Connolly MD, Gregg SC, Machan JT, Cioffi WG, Heffernan OS. Infections after trauma are associated with subsequent cardiac injury. J of Trauma 2012 Nov; 73 (5): 1079-85.
- Van der Wilden GM, Velmahos GC, Joseph DK, Jacobs L, DeBusk MG, Adams CA, Gross R, Burkott B, Agarwal S, Maung AA, Johnson DC, Gates J, Kelly E, Michaud Y, Charash WE, Winchell RJ, Desjardins SE, Rosenblatt MS, Gupta S, Gaeta M, Chang Y, de Moya MA. Successful Non-operative Management of the Most Severe Blunt Renal Injuries: A Multicenter Study of The Research Consortium Of New England Centers For Trauma (ReCONECT). Arch Surg 2012 May; 147 (5): 423-8
- Croce MA, Brasel J, Coimbra R, Adams CA Jr., Miller PR, Pasquale MD, McDonald CS, Vuthipadadon, Fabian TC, Tolley EA. NTI Prospective Evaluation of the Ventilator Bundle in Trauma Patients: Does it Really Work? National Trauma Institute. Presented at American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, 70th Annual Meeting, Kauai, HI, September 12, 2012. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013 Feb; 74(2): 354-60; discussion 360-2
- Eltorai EM, Daniels AH, Hayda RA, Adams CA Jr., Cosgrove GR, Born CT. Motorcycle Helmet Use in RI. RI Medical Journal 2013, 96 (12): 18-20.
- Rogers R, Baird J, He JK, Adams CA, Mello M. Using the Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST) to Determine the Prevalence of Substance Abuse in the Rhode Island Trauma Population. RI Medical J 2014 Feb; 97 (2): 42-4.
- Eltorai EM, Ghanian S, Adams CA Jr., Born CT, Daniels AH. Readability of Patient Education Materials on the American Association for Surgery of Trauma Website. Arch Trauma Res 2014 Apr 30;3(2):e18161. doi: 10.5812/atr.18161. eCollection 2014 Jun.
- Young WA, Young JS, Gregg SC, Stephen AH, Lueckel SN, Connolly MD, Adams CA, Cioffi WG, Heffernan OS, Ottinger M. Liver Hounsfield Units of Admission CT Scans for Trauma Are Predictive of Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. JAGS 2014 Sept; 219 (3): S44
- Marwaha JS, Drolet BC, Maddox SS, Adams CA. Jr. The Association of the 2011 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Duty Hour Reform With Quality and Safety in Trauma Care. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Feb 22. pii: S1072-7515(16)00085-5.
- Zimmerman AM, Marwaha J, Nunez H, Harrington D, Heffernan D, Monaghan S, Adams C, Stephen A. Preoperative Myocardial Injury as a Predictor of Mortality in Emergency General Surgery: An Analysis using the American College of Surgeons NSQIP Database. J Amer Coll Surg 2016, doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2016.04.043
- DePasse JM, Ahmed AK, Palumbo MA, Adams CA Jr., Daniel AH. Halo-Vest Immobilization in Elderly Odontoid Fracture Patients: Evolution in Treatment Modality and In-hospital Outcomes. Clinical Spine Surgery, Nov 2016.
- Gregg SC, Heffernan OS, Connolly MD, Stephen AH, Leuckel SN, Harrington OT, Machan JT, Adams CA Jr., Cioffi WG. Teaching leadership in trauma resuscitation: Immediate feedback from a real-time, competency-based evaluation tool shows long-term improvement in resident performance. J Trauma Acute Care Surgery, 2016 81(4):729- 734.
- Sawhney JS, Stephen AH, Nunez H, Lueckel SN, Kheirbek T, Adams CA Jr, Cioffi WG, Heffernan DS. Impact of Type of Health Insurance on Infection Rates among Young Trauma Patients. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2016 Oct; 17(5):541-6. doi: 10.1089/sur.2015.210. Epub 2016 May 31.
- Dickinson CM, Karlin DR, Nunez HR, Cao SA, Heffernan DS, Monaghan SF, Kheirbek T, Adams CA Jr., Stephen AH. Do Patients with Pre Existing Psychiatric Illness Have an Increased Risk of Infection after Injury? Surg Infections, 2017, Mar 29. doi: 10.1089/sur.2016.218.
- Bunnell K, Zullo AR, Berard Collins C, Adams CA Jr. Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia in critically ill trauma and burn patients: a retrospective cohort study. Surg Infections 2017, 18(2):196-201
- Kao MJ, Nunez H, Monaghan SF, Heffernan OS, Adams CA Jr, Lueckel SN, Stephen AH. Trauma patients who present in a delayed fashion: a unique and challenging population. J Surg Res 2017 Feb; 208:204-210. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2016.09.037. Epub 2016 Sep 28.
- Cocanour CS, Chang P, Huston JM, Adams CA Jr., Diaz JJ Jr., Wessel CB, Falcione BA, Bauza GM, Forsythe RA, Rosengart MR. Management and Novel Adjuncts of Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections. Surg Infections, 2017, 18: 250-272.
- Huston J, Kao LS, Chang PK, Sanders JM, Buckman S, Adams CA, Cocanour CS, Parli SE, Grabowski J, Diaz J, Tessier JM, Duane TM. Antibiotics versus Appendectomy for Acute Uncomplicated Appendicitis in Adults – Review of the Evidence and Future Directions. Surgical Infections, 2017, 18(5): 527-535. https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2017.073
- Ottinger E, Monaghan SF, Gregg SC, Stephen AH, Connolly MD, Harrington OT, Adams CA, JR., Cioffi WG, Heffernan OS. Trauma Morning Report is the Ideal Environment to Teach and Evaluate Resident Communication and Hand-Offs in the 80-Hour Work Week. Injury 2017, May doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2017.04.060.
- Baird J, Faul M, Green TC, Howland J, Adams CA, George A, Mello MJ. A retrospective review of unintentional opioid overdose risk and mitigating factors among acutely injured trauma patients. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2017, 178: 130-135. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.04.030.
- Adams CA Jr., Stein OM, Morrison JJ, Scalea TS. Does lntracranial Pressure Management Hurt More Than It Helps in Traumatic Brain Injury? Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open 2018;3: e000142. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2017-000142
- Sim JT, Soipe A, Lueckel SN, Kheirbek T, Heffernan OS, Monaghan SF, Adams CA, Jr., Stephen AH. Dismal outcomes following damage control laparotomy and the open abdomen in the injured elderly. In submission, Injury
- Greene RA, Zullo AR, Berard Collins C, Adams CA Jr. Effect of pharmacist interventions on drug cost savings in acute and intensive care. Submitted to, Hospital Pharmacy.
- Lueckel SN, Kosar CM, Teno JM, Monaghan SF, Adams CA Jr., Cioffi WG, Thomas KS. Outcomes in Nursing Home Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury. Submitted to Surgery.
- Dickinson C, Coppersmith NA, Huber HM, Adams CA Jr., Harrington OT, Stephen AH. The path to the operating room: Where and when are the delays and how does it impact outcomes in emergency abdominal surgery? Submitted to Surgery
- Baird J, Faul M, Green TC, Howland J, Adams CA, Hodne MJ, Bohlen N, Mello MJ. Evaluation of a Safer Opioid Prescribing Protocol (SOPP) for Patients Being Discharged from a Trauma Service. Submitted to American Journal of Preventive Medicine.