G. Dean Roye, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery (Clinical Educator), Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs, Chief Medical Officer, and Director of General Surgery, The Miriam Hospital
Accepting New Patients
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Medical School: University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
Residency: General Surgery - University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
Fellowship: Laparoscopic Surgery - Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, Providence, RI
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
Association for Academic Surgery
New England Surgical Society
Rhode Island Medical Society
The Miriam Hospital
Rhode Island Hospital
- Holman WL, Roye GD, Bourge RC, et al. Circulatory support for myocardial infarction with ventricular arrhythmia management of catheter emboli. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 59:1231-1233, 1995.
- Roye GD, Zorn G, McGiffin D, et al. Acute repair of traumatic aorto-innominate fistulae. Journal of Trauma 37: 753-756, 1995.
- Roye GD, Breazeale EE, Burns J, et al. Management of catheter emboli. Southern Medical Journal 89:714-717, 1996.
- Roye GD, Myers RB, Beenken SW, et al. CD44H expression in dysplastic epithelium and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. International Journal of Cancer 254-258, 1996.
- Jordan WD, Roye GD, Fisher WS, McDowell HA. A cost comparison of balloon angioplasty and stenting versus endarterectomy for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis. J Vasc Surg 27:16-22, 1998.
- Krontiras H, Roye GD, Myers RB, Beenken SW, Grizzle WE. Fatty acid synthase expression is increased in neoplastic lesions of the oral tongue. Head & Neck 21:325-329, 1999.
- Beenken SW, Roye GD, Geopfort H, Urist MM. Extent of surgery for intermediate-risk well-differentiated thyroid career. Am J Surg 179:51-56, 2000.
- Roye GD, Monchik J, Amaral JF. Endoscopic Adrenalectomy Using Ultrasonic Cutting and Coagulating. Surgical Technology International 2000; IX:129-138.
- Roye GD, Hanington DT. Gastric Bypass. Med Health RI Feb;87(2);36-7, 2004.
- Tsai JY, Iannitti D, Berkenblit A, Akerman P, Nadeem A, Rathore R, Harington D, Roye GD, Miner T, Barnett JM, Maia c, Stumi K, Safran H. Phase I study of docetaxel, capecitabine, and carboplatin in metastatic esophagogastric cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2005 Aug;28(4):329-333.
- Zimmerman M, Francione-Witt C, Chelminski I, Young D, Boerescu D, Attiullah N, Pohl D, Roye GD, Harrington D. Pre-surgical Psychiatric Evaluations of Candidates for Bariatric Surgery: Reasons for and Frequency of Exclusion. J Clin Psychiatry 2007 Oct;68(10):1557-1562.
- Abodeely A, Roye GD, Harrington D, Cioffi W. Bariatric Surgery and Pregnancy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2008 May-Jun;4(3):464-71.
- Harrington DT, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Miner TJ, Richardson P, Cioffi WG. A time -cost analysis of teaching a laparoscopic entero-enterostomy. J Surg Educ. 2007 Nov Dec;64(6);342-5.
- Iannuccilli JD, Mayo-Smith W, Evangelista P, Grand D, Murphy BL, Roye GD, Machan JT. Sensitivity and Specificity of 8 CT Signs in Preoperative Diagnosis of Internal Mesenteric Hernia Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery. Clinical Radiology. 64(4):373-80, 2009 Apr.
- Bond DS, Vithiananthan S, Leahey TM, Thomas JG, Sax HC, Pohl D, Ryder BA, Roye GD, Giovanni J, Wing RR. Prevalence and degree of sexual dysfunction in a sample of women seeking bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2009 Nov-Dec;5(6):698-704 epub Jul 24.
- Bond DS, Jakicic JM, Vithiananthan S, Thomas JG, Leahey TM, Sax HC, Pohl D, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Wing RR. Objective quantification of physical activity in bariatric surgery candidates and normal-weight controls. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2010 Jan-Feb;6(1):72-8. epub 2009 Sep 10.
- Bond DS, Raynor HA, Vithiananthan S, Sax HC, Pohl D, Roye GD, Ryder B, Wing RR. Differences in salivary habituation to a taste stimulus in bariatric surgery candidates and normal-weight controls. Obes Surg. 2009 Jul;19(7):873-8. epub 2009 May 20.
- Bond DS, Jakicic JM, Unick JL, Vithiananthan S, Pohl D, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Sax HC, Wing RR. Pre-to postoperative physical activity changes in bariatric surgery patient: self-report vs. objective measures. Obesity 2010 Dec;18(12):2395-7. epub 2010 Apr 8.
- Bond DS, Wing RR, Vithiananthan S, Sax HC, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Pohl D, Giovanni J. Significant resolution of female sexual dysfunction after bariatric surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Jan-Feb:7(1): 1-7. epub 2010 Jun 4.
- Sharkey KM, Machan JT, Tosi C, Roye GD, Harrington D, Millman RP. Predicting Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Women Planning Bariatric Surgery for Treatment of Obesity. Journal of Women’s Health. 2010 Oct;19(10):1833-41.
- Thomas JG, Bond DS, Ryder BA, Leahey TM, Vithiananthan S, Roye GD, Wing RR. Ecological momentary assessment of recommended postoperative eating and activity behaviors. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Mar-Apr;7(2):206-12. epub 2010 Nov 13.
- Bond DS, Unick JL, Jkicic JM, Vithiananthan S, Pohl D, Roye GD, Ryder BA, Sax HC, Giovanni J, Wing RR. Objective assessment of time spent being sedentary in bariatric surgery candidates. Obes Surg 2011 Jun;21(6):811-4.
- Gemignani AS, Muhlebach SG, Abbott BG, Roye GD, Arrighi JA. Stress-only or stress/rest myocardial perfusion imagining in patients undergoing evaluation for bariatric surgery. J Nuc Card 2011 Oct;18(5):886-92. epub 2011 Jul 15.
- Unick JL, Bond DS, Jakicic JM, Vithiananthan S, Ryder BA, Roye GD, Pohl D, Trautvetter J, Wing RR. Comparison of Two Objective Monitors for Assessing Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviors in Bariatric Surgery Patients. Obes Surg. 2011 Aug 4 (epub ahead of print).
- Manchester S, Roye GD. Bariatric Surgery: An Overview for Dietetics Professionals. Nutrition Today, 2011:46(6):264-273.
- Leahey TM, Bond DS, Raynor HA, Roye GD, Vithiananthan S, Ryder BA, Sax HC, Wing RR. Effects of bariatric surgery on food cravings: do food cravings and the consumption of craved foods “normalize” after surgery: Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jan-Feb 8(1):84-91.
- Unick JL, Bond DS, Jakicic JM, Vithiananthan S, Ryder BA, Roye GD, Pohl D, Sax HC, Wing RR. Comparison of two objective monitors for assessing physical activity and sedentary behavior in bariatric surgery patients. Obesity Surgery 22:347-35, 2012
- Sharkey KM, Orff HJ, Tosi C, Harrington D, Roye GD, Millman RP. Subjective sleepiness and daytime functioning in bariatric patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep & Breathing. 17 (1):267-74 March 2013 (2012 Apr 13 epub ahead of print)
- Thomas G, Bond, DS, Ryder BA, Leahey TM, Vithiananthan S, Roye GD, Ring R: Ecological Momentary Assessment (EMA) of Recommended Postoperative Eating and Activity Behaviors. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 20(1):82-7, 2013 Mar.
- Bond DS; Vithiananthan S, Thomas JG, Trauvetter J, Unick JL, Jakicic JM; Pohl D, Ryder BA; Roye GD, Sax HC, Wing RR: Bari-Active: A randomized controlled trial of a preoperative intervention to increase physical activity in bariatric surgery patients. Surgery for Obesity and Related Disease 11 (1): 169-77, Jan-Feb 2015
- Bond DS, Thomas JG, King WC; Vithiananthan S; Webster JR, Ryder B, Pohl D, Roye GD, Sax H, Wing R: Exercise improves quality of life in bariatric surgery candidates: Results from the Bari-Active randomized controlled trial. Obesity 23 (3): 536-42, March 2015
- Bond DS, Thomas JG, Vithiananthan S, Unick J, Webster J., Roye GD, Ryder BA, Sax HC: Intervention-related increases in preoperative physical activities are maintained 6-months after bariatric surgery: Results from the bari-active trial. International Journal of Obesity 41 (3): 467-470, March 2017
- Zimmerman, A., Roye, GD, Charpentier, K. A comparison of outcomes between open, laparoscopic and robotic pancreaticoduodenectomy. Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Journal, 19 (S1): S77, April 2017
- Giorgi, B. Ryder, D. Roye, T. Stafford, T. Chong, J. Malek, S. Sangisetty, S. Vithiananthan: Safety of Retrievable Inferior Vena Cava Filter Placements in High-Risk Bariatric Surgery Patients, Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care, 13 (1), January 2018
Providence - 195 Collyer Street, Suite 302