Paul E. Morrissey, MD, FACS
Professor of Surgery, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Director, Division of Organ Transplantation, Rhode Island Hospital
Accepting New Patients
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Medical School: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
Residency: General Surgery - Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Research - University of Massachusetts, Worcester MA
Transplantation Biology Research - Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Organ Transplantation - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston MA
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Society of Transplantation
International Pediatric Transplantation Association
New England Surgical Society
Rhode Island Medical Society
Hospital Affiliations: Rhode Island Hospital
- Clarke MJ, Morrissey PE. Nucleoside oxidation and hydrolysis induced by a coordinated metal ion: xanthine oxidase activity in a simple metallonucleoside complex. Inorganica Chim Acta 80: L69-70, 1983.
- Fink MP, Morrissey PE, Stein KL, Clement RE, Fiallo V and Gardiner WM. Systemic and regional hemodynamic effects of cyclo-oxygenase and thromboxane synthetase inhibition in normal and endotoxemic rabbits. Circulatory Shock 26: 41-57, 1988.
- Morrissey PE and Marks WH. Biochemical detection of rejection occurring in cardiac allografts by serum heart fatty acid-binding protein (H-FABP). Surg Forum 100: 451-453, 1993.
- Morrissey PE, Gollin G, Brusett K and Marks WH. Prolongation of allograft survival in rat heterotopic heart transplantation by TLCK, a serine protease inhibitor. Transplantation 57: 631-643, 1994.
- Morrissey PE, Lorber KM, Marcarelli M, Bia MJ, Kliger AS, Lorber MI. Post-transplant Epstein-Barr virus infection is associated with elevated levels of CD19+ B-lymphocytes. Transplantation 59: 637-640, 1995.
- Morrissey PE, Lorber KM, Marcarelli M, Bia MJ, Kliger AS, Lorber MI. Immunologic monitoring after organ transplantation: Relationship between Epstein-Barr virus infection and CD19+ B cells measured by flow cytometry. Transplant Proc 27: 1428-1430, 1995.
- Morrissey PE, Burns G and Cohn S. Sump syndrome complicating Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy. Surgery 119: 403-405, 1996.
- Morrissey PE, Gollin G, Marks WH. Small bowel allograft rejection detected by serum intestinal fatty acid-binding protein (I-FABP) is reversible. Transplantation 61: 1451-1453, 1996.
- Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Shaffer D, Crosson A, Madras PN, Sahyoun A and Monaco AP. Correlation of clinical outcomes after tacrolimus conversion for resistant kidney rejection or cyclosporine toxicity with pathologic staging by the Banff criteria. Transplantation 63: 845-848, 1997.
- Morrissey PE, Shaffer D, Madras PN, Sahyoun AI and Monaco AP. Progression of peripheral vascular disease after combined kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetic patients with end-stage renal failure. Transplant Proc 29: 662-3, 1997.
- Morrissey PE, Shaffer D, Monaco AP, Conway P and Madras PN. Peripheral vascular complications after kidney-pancreas transplantation versus kidney transplant alone in diabetics with ESRD. Arch Surg 132: 358-362, 1997.
- Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Madras PN, Shaffer D, Davis C, Conway P, Sahyoun AI and Monaco AP. Etiology of early renal allograft dysfunction after live donor renal transplantation. Transplant Proc 30: 1320, 1998.
- Morrissey PE, Gordon F, Shaffer D, Monaco AP, Madras PN, Lewis D and Jenkins RL. Combined liver-kidney transplantation. Liver Transplantation and Surgery 4: 363-7, 1998.
- Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Madras P, Monaco AP. Pulmonary fibrosis secondary to administration of mycophenolate mofetil. Transplantation 65: 1414, 1998.
- Gohh RY, Morrissey PE, Madras PN, Monaco AP. Controversies in organ donation: the altruistic donor. Nephrol Dial Transplantation 16: 619-621, 2001.
- Yango A, Morrissey P, Monaco A, Butera J, Gohh RY. Successful treatment of tacrolimus-associated thrombotic microangiopathy with sirolimus conversion and plasma exchange. Clinical Nephrology 58: 77-78, 2002.
- Ramirez PJ, Gohh R, Kestin A, Monaco AP, Morrissey PE. Renal allograft loss due to proximal extension of ileofemoral deep venous thrombosis. Clin Transplant 16: 310-313, 2002.
- Morrissey PE, Ramirez PJ, Gohh RJ, Yango AY, Kestin A, Madras PN, Monaco AP. Management of thrombophilia in renal transplant recipients. Am J Transplantation 2: 872-876, 2002.
- Morrissey PE, Gohh RY, Monaco AP. A novel scale of immunosuppressive exposure and correlation to outcomes after renal transplantation. Transplant Proc 34 (5), 1640, 2002.
- Yango A, Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Wahbeh A, Monaco A. Donor transmitted parvovirus infection in a kidney transplant recipient presenting as pancytopenia and allograft dysfunction. Transplant Infectious Disease, 4: 163-166, 2002.
- Yango A, Morrissey PE, Monaco A, Gohh R, Centracchio J, Dworkin L. Renal production of hepatocyte growth factor increases after unilateral nephrectomy in man. Transplant Proc 34: 3128-3129, December 2002.
- Gohh RY, Yango A, Morrissey PE, Monaco AP. Comparative study of prophylactic oral ganciclovir and valacyclovir in high-risk kidney transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 18: 809-813, 2003.
- Morrissey PE. Should we use organs from donors with CNS malignancy? More data still no answer [editorial]. Transplantation 76: 280-281, 2003.
- Gohh RY and Morrissey PE. Altruistic living donors: exploring the option. 3rd International Congress of Nephrology in Internet, URL: www. uninet.edu/cin2003/conf/gohh/gohh.html.
- Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Yango A, Gautam A, Monaco AP. Renal transplant survival from older donors: a single-center experience. Arch Surg 139: 384-389, 2004.
- Morrissey PE, Gautam A, Amaral JF, Monaco AP. Keeping up with the Jones’s: Open donor nephrectomy in the laparoscopic era. Transplant Proc 36: 1285-1287, 2004.
- Delmonico FL, Morrissey PE, Lipkowitz G et al. Donor Kidney Exchanges. Am J Transplant 4: 1628-1634, 2004.
- Ryder B, Gohh RY, Hopkins B, Yango A, Morrissey PE. Sensitization in Renal Transplantation. Surg Rounds 360-365, 2004.
- Tran MQ, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE, et al. Cryptosporidium infection in renal transplant patients. Clinical Nephrol 63: 305-309, 2005.
- Morrissey PE, Reinert S, Gohh R, Yango A, Gautam A, Monaco AP. Factors contributing to acute rejection in renal transplantation: the role of noncompliance. Transplant Proc 37: 2044-2047, 2005.
- Morrissey PE, Fan PY. Renal replacement therapy after liver transplantation [letter]. Transplantation 80: 425, 2005.
- Morrissey PE, Dube C, Gohh RY, Yango A, Gautam A Monaco AP. Good Samaritan Kidney Donation. Transplantation 80: 1369-73, 2005.
- Gautam A, Morrissey PE, Gohh R, Yango A, Monaco AP. Experience with sirolimus for calcineurin minimization/elimination in pancreas-after-kidney transplantation. Transplant Proc 37: 3542 – 3543, 2005.
- Gohh RY, Savin V, Morrissey PE, Yango A, Gautam A, Monaco AP, McCarthy ET. Preemptive plasmapheresis and recurrence of FSGS in high-risk renal transplant recipients.
Am J Transplant 5:2907-12, 2005.
- Grossberg J, Reinert SE, Monaco AP, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE. Utility of a mathematical nomogram to predict delayed graft function: a single-center experience. Transplantation 81: 155-9, 2006.
- Fischer S, Graham MB, Kuehnert MJ et al. Transmission of Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus by Organ Transplantation [Appendix]. New Engl J Med 354: 2235-49, 2006.
- Morrissey PE. In support of list paired exchange. Am J Transplant 6: 434-5; author reply 436-7, 2006.
- Yango A, Gohh RY, Monaco AP, Reinert SE, Gautam A, Dworkin LD, Morrissey PE. Excess risk of renal allograft loss and early mortality among elderly recipients is associated with poor exercise capacity. Clin Nephrol 65(6): 401-7, 2006.
- Whiting J, Delmonico FL, Morrissey PE et al. Clinical results of an OPO effort to increase utilization of donors after cardiac death. Transplantation 81: 1368-71, 2006.
- Gautam A, Morrissey PE, Brem A, Fischer S, Gohh RY, Yango A, Monaco AP. Use of an immune function assay to monitor immunosuppression for treatment of post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder. Pediatric Transplant 10: 613-6, 2006.
- Morrissey PE, O’Connor K, Durning P. Termination of resuscitation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest [Letter]. New Engl J Med 355: 2258-59, 2006.
- Morrissey PE, Gautam A, Yango A, Grollman AP, Esparza A, Gohh RY, Monaco AP. Transplantation for Chinese herb nephropathy. Clin Transpl 560, 2006.
- Gautam A, Fischer S, Yango AY, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE, Monaco AP. Cell-mediated immunity (CMI) and post-transplant viral infections: role of a functional immune assay to titrate immunosuppression. Int Immunopharmacol 6: 2023-6, 2006.
- Morrissey PE. Applicability of a Nomogram to Predict DGF [Reply]. Transplantation 83: 828, 2007.
- Vrochides Dionisios, Fischer SA, Soares G, Morrissey PE. Successful Treatment of Recurrent Cholangitis Complicating Liver Transplantation by Roux-en-Y Limb Lengthening. Transpl Infect Disease 9: 327-331, 2007.
- Gautam A, Fischer S, Gohh RY, Yango A, Morrissey PE, Monaco AP. Suppression of cell-mediated immunity by a donor-transmitted lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus in a kidney transplant recipient. Transpl Infect Dis. 9: 339-42, 2007.
- Morrissey PE, Flynn ML, Lin S. Medication noncompliance and its implications in transplant recipients. Drugs 67(10): 1463-81, 2007.
- Yango A, Gohh RY, Fischer S, Morrissey PE. Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis in a Renal Transplant Recipient. Transplant Proc 40: 1751-3, 2008.
- Yango A, Gohh RY, Wang LJ, Morrissey P et al. The utility of 6 month protocol renal biopsy under modern immunosuppression. Clin Nephrology 70: 490-5, 2008.
- Charpentier KP, Cheah YL, Machan J, Miner T, Morrissey P, Monaco A. Intention to treat survival following liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma within a donor service area. HPB (Oxford) 10: 412-5, 2008.
- Morrissey PE. Prope tolerance: is it the end or the means? Transplantation 87: 1750-1, 2009.
- Than P, Morrissey PE. America’s Multi-Tiered Healthcare System: Is Organ Transplantation Fair? Medicine Health Rhode Island 92: 422-423, 2009.
- Morrissey PE. Kidney donation from brain-injured patients before a declaration of death. J Med Ethics (Lahey Clinic). 17 (1): 1-2, 2010. Commentary (reply): JME 17 (2): 6-7.
- Rodrigue JR, Schutzer ME, Paek M, Morrissey P. Altruistic Kidney Donation to a Stranger: Psychosocial and Functional Outcomes at Two U.S. Transplant Centers. Transplantation 91(7): 772-778, 2011.
- Morrissey PE. The case for kidney donation before end-of-life care. Am Journal Bioethics. 12(6): 1-8, 2012.
- Foster JT, Morrissey PE. Segmental renal ischemia following transplantation of horseshoe kidney as separate allografts. Case Reports in Transplantation 2013.
- Sibulesky L, Charpentier K, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE. Kidney Transplantation from Donors with Severe Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation. International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN) Transplantation 2013; doi:10.5402/2013/646310.
- Okhah Z, Morrissey P, Harrington D, Cioffi W, Charpentier KP. Performance assessment of surgical residents in a vascular anastomosis laboratory. J Surg Research 185: 450-4, 2013.
- Bayliss GP, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE, Rodrique JR, Mandelbrot DA Immunosuppression After Renal Allograft Failure: A Survey of US Practices. Clinical Transplantation 27(6): 895-900, 2013.
- Morrissey PE, Monaco AP. Donation after Circulatory Death (DCD): Current Practices, Ongoing Challenges, Potential Improvements. Transplantation; 97(3): 258-64, 2013.
- Day KM, Beckman RM, Machan JT, Morrissey PE. Efficacy and safety of phenylephrine in the management of low systolic blood pressure after renal transplantation. J Am Coll Surg 218(6): 1207-13, 2014.
- Rodrigue JR, Schold JD, Morrissey P, Whiting J, Vella J, Pavlakis M, Mandelbrot DA for the KDOC Study Group. Pre-donation Direct and Indirect Costs Incurred by Adults Who Donated a Kidney: Findings from the KDOC Study. Am J Transplant: 15 (5): 2387-93, 2015.
- Kassakian CT, Ajmal S, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE, Bayliss GP. Immunosuppression in the failing and failed transplant kidney: optimizing outcomes. Nephrol Dial Transplant 30: 1–9, 2015.
- Rodrigue JR, Schold JD, Morrissey P et al. Pre-Donation Direct and Indirect Costs Incurred by Adults Who Donated a Kidney: Findings from the KDOC Study. American J Transplant, 15(9):2387-93, 2015.
- Morrissey PE. Kidney donation before imminent circulatory death. Am J Kidney Disease 2016.
- Foderaro AE, Baird GL, Bazargan-Lari A, Morrissey PE, Gohh RY, Poppas A, Klinger JR, Ventetuolo CE. Echocardiographic pulmonary hypertension predicts post-transplant renal allograft failure. Transplant Proc, in press.
- Morrissey PE. Imminent Death Donation – Pro. Curr Topics in Transplantation. In press.
- Rodrigue JR, Schold JD, Morrissey P et al. Mood, Body Image, Fear of Kidney Failure, Life Satisfaction, and Decisional Stability Following Living Kidney Donation: Findings from the KDOC Study. American J Transplant. 18(6):1397-1407, 2018.
- Rodrigue JR, Fleishman A, Sokas CM, Schold JD, Morrissey P et al. Kidney Donor Outcomes Cohort (or KDOC) Study. Transplantation 2019.
- Kim S, Bird G, Gohh RG, Bayliss G, Morrissey PE. A single-center analysis of early readmission after renal transplantation. Clin Transplant. In press, 2019.
- Zmijewski P, Morrissey PE. Transmission of Renal Cell Carcinoma Through Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. Submitted.