Nish S. Shah, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery (Clinician Educator) and Program Director of Colorectal Surgery Fellowship, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Accepting New Patients
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Medical School: University of Manchester School of Medicine, Manchester, England
Residency: General Surgery - Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA&, and University of Pittsburgh, PA
Fellowship: Colon and Rectal Surgery - Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, and University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
Memberships in Societies:
American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
New England Surgical Society
The Miriam Hospital
Rhode Island Hospital
Women & Infants Hospital
- Devineni R, Shah NS, Kolff J. Management of patent saphenous vein grafts during reoperative coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg: 55; 770-771, 1993.
- Shah NS, Nakayama DK, Jacob TD, Imai T, Nishio I, Billiar TR, Exler R, Motoyama E, Yousem SA, Peitzman AB. Efficacy of inhaled nitric oxide in a porcine model of ARDS. Arch Surg: 129; 158-164, 1994.
- Shah NS, Nakayama DK, Nishio I, Imai T, Jacob TD, Exler R, Billiar TR, Motoyama E, Yousem SA, Peitzman AB. Limited efficacy of inhaled nitric oxide in a porcine model of acute lung injury. Surg Forum: XLIV; 55-58, 1993.
- Freeswick PD, DiSilvio M, Nussler AK, Shah NS, Nguyen D, Billiar TR, Finkel M, Rattler B. Evidence of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in the heart. Surg Forum XLIV; 267-269, 1993.
- Geller DA, DiSilvio M, Nussler AK, Freeswick PD, Nguyen D, Shah NS, Simmons RL, Billiar TR Hepatocyte nitric oxide production during endotoxemia requires expression of GTP cyclohydrolase mRNA and synthesis of tetrahydrobiopterin. Surg Forum XLIV; 67-69, 1993.
- Shah NS, Jacob TD, Exler R, Morrow S, Ford H, Albanese C, Wiener ES, Rowe MI, Billiar TR, Simmons RL, Motoyama E, Nakayama DK. Use of inhaled nitric oxide in congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Ped Surg: 29; 1010-1015, 1994.
- Kelly E, Shah NS, Morgan NN, Watkins SC, Peitzman AB, Billiar TR. Hemodynamic and molecular evidence that the vascular decompensation in hemorrhagic shock is not mediated by nitric oxide. Surg Forum XLV; 65-67, 1994.
- Rattler BG, Gorcsan J, Shah NS, Oddis CV, Billiar TR, Simmons RL, Finkel MS. A potential role for nitric oxide in myocardial stunning. J Card Surg: 9; 425-429, 1994.
- Esper E, Devineni R, Shah NS, Wurzel D, Brownstein L, Heagney M, Slukis MJ, Kolff J. Results of the unidirectional Centri-Safe arterial valve for prevention of retrograde flow during cardiopulmonary bypass. ASAIO J: 40; 540-546, 1994.
- Kelly E, Shah NS, Morgan NN, Peitzman AB, Billiar TR. HSP-72 hepatic mRNA and protein are induced by hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation, but not by shock alone. Surg Forum XLVI; 82-84, 1995.
- Wong HR, Carcillo JA, Burckart G, Shah NS, Janosky JE. Increased serum nitrite and nitrate concentrations in children with sepsis syndrome. Crit Care Med: 23;835-842, 1995.
- Hattler BG, Oddis CV, Zeevi A, Shah NS, Luss H, Geller DA, Billiar TR, Simmons RL, Finkel MS. Regulation of constitutive nitric oxide synthase activity by the human heart. Am J Cardiol: 76; 957- 959, 1995.
- Leder G, Oppenheim M, Rosenstein M, Shah NS, Hoffman R, Lotze MH, Beger HG. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase does not improve interleukin-2 mediated anti-tumor effects in vivo. Eur Surg Research: 28; 167-178, 1996.
- Shah NS, Nakayama DK, Jacob TD, Imai T, Nishio I, Billiar TR, Exler R, Motoyama E, Yousem SA, Peitzman AB. Efficacy of inhaled nitric oxide in oleic-acid acute lung injury. Crit Care Med: 25; 153-158, 1997.
- Kelly E, Shah NS, Morgan NN, Watkins SC, Peitzman AB, Billiar TR. Physiologic and molecular characterization of the role of nitric oxide in hemorrhagic shock: evidence that type II nitric oxide synthase does not regulate vascular decompensation. Shock: 7; 157-163, 1997.
- Shah NS, Billiar TR. Role of nitric oxide in inflammation and tissue injury during endotoxemia and hemorrhagic shock. Environ Health Perspect 106; 1139-1143, 1998.
- Shah NS, Kelly E, Billiar TR, Marshall HM, Harbrecht BG, Udekwu AO, Peitzman AB. Utility of clinical parameters of tissue oxygenation in a quantitative model of irreversible hemorrhagic shock. Shock: 10; 343-346, 1998.
- Shah NS, Kalff J, Billiar TR, Peitzman AB, Bauer A, Harbrecht BG. The beneficial effects of a novel nitric oxide scavenger in reducing tissue injury and improving survival following hemorrhagic shock. Surg Forum XLIX; 37-38, 1998.
- Shah NS, Rernzi F, Baixauli J, Massman A, Fazio VW. Management and treatment outcome of pouch-vaginal fistulas following restorative proctocolectomy. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum: 46(7):911-7, 2003.
- Shah NS, Fazio VW. Treatment of perianal Crohn’s disease. Gastroenterology (Current Medical Literature) 27 (3), 69-75, 2008.
- Shah NS. Surgical treatment of hemorrhoids, review. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 53 (3), 360, 2010.
- Shah NS. Imaging Atlas of pelvic floor and anorectal diseases, review. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 53 (3), 361, 2010.
- Perez K, Walsh R, Brilliant K, Noble L, Yakerivich E, Breese V, Jackson C, Chatterjee D, Pricolo V, Roth L, Shah N, Cataldo T, Safran H, Hixson D, Quesenberry P. Heterogeneity of colorectal cancer in reference to K-ras proto-oncogene utilizing WAVE technology. Exp Mol Pathol: 13, 2013.
- Issa D, Steele D, Shah N, Trikalinos T. Oral Mechanical Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Surgery. AHRQ, April 2014.
- Gregg Z, Dao H, Schechter S, Shah N. Paracolostomy hernia repair: who and when? Journal of the American College of Surgeons 218 (6), 1105-12, 2014.
- Issa D, Steele D, Shah N, Trikalinos T. Oral Mechanical Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Surgery. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum: 58(7) 698-707, 2015.
- Dahabreh I, Adam, GP, Halladay CW, Steele DW, Dalello LA, Smith BT, Herliczek TW, Shah N, Trikalinos TA. Diagnosis of Right Lower Quadrant Pain and Suspected Acute Appendicitis. AHRQ, Dec 2015.
- Miller P, Paluvoi N, Bailey M, Vargas D, Shah N. A comparison of 30-day postoperative outcomes following laparoscopic and robotic colectomy. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 223(2): 269-73, 2016.
- Perez K, Safran H, Sikov W, Vrees M, Shah N, Klipfel A et al. Complete Neoadjuvant Treatment for Rectal Cancer: The Brown University Oncology Group CONTRE Study. Am J Clin Oncol 40 (3): 283-287, 2017.
- Shah NS, Laskiewicz L, Lidofsky S. Restorative Proctocolectomy in An Ulcerative Colitis Patient With Preoperative Colorectal Kaposi Sarcoma. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2018 22(7); 1301-1302.
- Shah N, Schechter S, Garcia-Henriquez N. Adjuvant Chemotherapy After Preoperative Chemoradiation Improves Survival in Patients With Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum: 61(5), 2018.
- Safran H, Leonard KL, Perez K, Vrees M, Klipfel A, Schechter S, Oldenburg N, Roth L, Shah N, Rosati K, Rajdev L, Mantripragada K, Sheng IY, Barth P, DiPetrillo TA. Tolerability of ADXS11-001 Lm-LLO Listeria-Based Immunotherapy with Mitomycin, Fluorouracil, and Radiation for Anal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Apr 1;100(5):1175-1178.
- Hoang S, Schechter S, Klipfel A, Vrees M, Roth L, Shah N. Colon and Rectal Surgery Surgical Site Infection Reduction Bundle: To Improve Is To Change. American Journal of Surgery (in press).
Providence - 208 Collyer Street, Suite 301A