Travis M. Cotton, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Surgery, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Accepting New Patients
Dr. Cotton is an endocrine surgeon who specializes in the surgical management of both benign and malignant diseases of the thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal gland. Originally from Texas, Dr. Cotton graduated Summa Cum Laude with a B.S. in Biomedical Science from Texas A&M University. He went on to receive his medical degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio School of Medicine with Alpha Omega Alpha honors. He then completed his internship and residency in general surgery at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, NC. He subsequently became the Norman W. Thompson Fellow of Endocrine Surgery at the University of Michigan where he completed his endocrine surgery fellowship.
Dr. Cotton’s practice is primarily dedicated to taking care of patients with thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal disease. He has expertise in thyroid ultrasound and ultrasound-guided thyroid FNA biopsies which are frequently performed in the office. He performs standard endocrine operations as well as minimally invasive parathyroidectomy and laparoscopic adrenalectomy.
Dr. Cotton’s research interests include parathyroid disease, papillary thyroid cancer, and thyroid ultrasound. He additionally participates in the education of both medical students and surgical residents at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
Board Certification: American Board of Surgery
Education: University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Residency: General Surgery - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Fellowship: Endocrine Surgery – University of Michigan
Memberships in Societies:
Fellow - American College of Surgeons (FACS)
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Association for Academic Surgery
American Thyroid Association
Rhode Island Hospital
The Miriam Hospital
Providence VA Medical Center
- Cotton TM, Jing X, Sandyhya J, Lirov R, Miller BS, Cohen MS, Gauger PG, Hughes DT. Frozen Section Analysis in the Post-Bethesda Era. Oral Presentation and publication. Journal of Surgical Research 2016, 205;393-397.
- Monchik J and Cotton TM. Technique for subcutaneous forearm transplantation of autologous parathyroid tissue. 2017 May; 161(5):1451-1452.
- Cotton TM, Cohen MS: Surgical vs Non-Surgical Management of Malignant Pheochromocytoma. In Angelos P, Grogan R (eds.): Difficult Decisions in Endocrine Surgery – An Evidence-Based Approach. Springer, 2016.
- Patil Pallavi, Almardini N, Cotton TM et al. BRAF positive, concurrent thyroid primary squamous carcinoma and tall cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Oral Presentation. 2016 New England Thyroid Society Meeting. Framingham, MA, April 2016.
- Black J, Cotton TM, Calvo B, Ollila D, Kim L, Yeh JJ. Safety of Outpatient Thyroidectomy. Poster Presentation. 2016 Society of Surgical Oncology. Boston, MA, March 2016.
- Scarlet S, Cotton TM, Adamson WT. Appendiceal Carcinoid Tumor Diagnosed After MACE Procedure: Management of an incidentally diagnosed malignancy in a child. Poster Presentation. George F. Sheldon Surgical Symposium. Chapel Hill, NC, March 2016.
- Caddell K, Cotton T, Kim L, Yeh JJ. Small Change for Big Gains – Process Optimization for Sample Processing Provides Substantial Savings. Poster Presentation. 2016 Society of Surgical Oncology. Boston, MA, March 2016.
- Cotton TM, Snavely A, Calvo B, Yeh JJ. System Changes to Improve Cost-Effectiveness of Standard Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone Assays: Location, Location, Location. Poster Presentation. 2014 Southeastern Surgical Congress. Savannah, GA, February 2014.
- Cotton TM, Haithcock B, Joseph M. Poop in the Pericardium: A Literature Review and Case Report of Colo-Pericardial Fistulas. Poster Presentation. CHEST 2012 Annual
Meeting and published in CHEST Online. Atlanta, GA, October 2012.
- Joseph M, Cotton TM, Haithcock B. Recurrent Pneumonia in the Setting of a Large Diaphragmatic Hernia: The Management and Treatment Dilemma of a Gastropulmonary Fistula. Poster Presentation. CHEST 2012 Annual Meeting and published in CHEST Online. Atlanta, GA, October 2012.